Haaland is a long-term Manchester United target and Neville has identified three players who will leave Old Trafford and allow Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to be reunited with the 21-year-old sensation
Gary Neville has named three Manchester United stars who will leave and make room for the signing of Erling Haaland.
The striking sensation has been a long-term transfer target for the Red Devils, who missed out on signing him in January.
Since then, Haaland has scored 65 goals in 65 games for Borrusia Dortmund but is set to be on the transfer marker next summer, with his £68 million release clause becoming active.
The 21-year-old will be at the top of almost every elite European club’s list, so the Norwegian will have his options open.
United fans are hoping Haaland’s relationship with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer from their time together at native outfit Molde will convince him to make the move.
But the Red Devils will have to shift some current players on, according to club legend Gary Neville.
Asked on Sky Sports’ Monday Night Football if Cristiano Ronaldo’s return means a swoop for Haaland is now off the table, Neville firmly responded: “No.
“No, I think Manchester United next year will lose probably [Anthony] Martial, they’ll lose [Juan] Mata, [Edinson] Cavani will leave because they got another year out of him.
“So it will free places to be filled,” the former United right-back explained.
“If Haaland becomes available next summer and they want to do a deal with his agent – which is the big thing with Haaland – then Manchester United should go for him.
Should Man Utd go all out to sign Haaland? Give us your verdict here.
“And I don’t think Cristiano coming prevents Haaland joining.”
But what would it mean for Ronaldo?
“Well Cristiano has played with [Karim] Benzema, with [Gareth] Bale, with all these great Galacticos at Real Madrid,” Neville noted.
“[Solskjaer] wouldn’t put him on the bench, why would you put him on the bench? You can fit two strikers in a team, surely.
Chelsea attempted to sign the striker during the summer transfer window but he is only expected to depart Dortmund in 2022 due the clause in his Dortmund contract and agent Mino Raiola reportedly sounding out offers already.
Haaland himself has been coy on a potential switch but has lofty ambitions.
Ex-BVB midfielder and soon-to-be sorting director Sebastian Kehl has said there was never any chance of the German giants selling their start this summer, telling
: “There were a lot of rumours, a lot of discussions, but internally we were always clear with Erling, with his father [Alf-Inge], with Mino Raiola.
“For that reason, we were always very calm.
“[Haaland]’s here, you can see him, he’s very motivated and very engaged, and he wants to play a great season for Borussia Dortmund.”
The young hitman has been enjoyed himself in the Bundesliga this season, scoring twice as his side claimed a thrilling 4-3 win at Bayer Leverkusen on Saturday.
That made it eight goals in five games for club and country, and the ex-RB Salzburg starlet is loving playing in front of the Signal Iduna Park faithful after spending the vast majority of his time in German with no fans in stadiums due to the global pandemic.
Following an opening-day brace in Dortmund’s 5-2 thrashing of Eintracht Frankfurt, Haaland also told Viaplay: “Today, it was easy to be motivated.
“I had goosebumps when I went out on the pitch. It was amazing to play in front of fans today. It’s free motivation, I’ve missed them a lot,” he admitted.
“It’s a good feeling, I can’t explain it. When I scored, it was amazing.”