Manchester City crash out of Women’s Champions League on aggregate despite beating Barcelona 2-1… as goals from Janine Beckie and Sam Mewis are not enough to progress
- Manchester City have been knocked out of the Women’s Champions League
- City beat Barcelona 2-1 on the night, but lost 4-2 overall on aggregate
- Janine Beckie got City off to the perfect start, scoring after just 20 minutes
- But Barca forward Asisat Oshoala pulled one back to hugely dent City’s hopes
- Sam Mewis scored a penalty after Ellen White was fouled but it wasn’t enough
Manchester City were eliminated from the Women’s Champions League after a 2-1 victory against Barcelona was not enough to stop them losing the quarter-finals 4-2 on aggregate.
The hosts had an enormous task ahead of them to get to the semi-finals after losing 3-0 in Barcelona last week. City got off to the perfect start when forward Janine Beckie slotted home from close range after 20 minutes.
Barcelona remained a threat throughout, though, and all but dashed City’s hopes early in the second half when Asisat Oshoala equalised after City gave the ball away cheaply just outside their penalty area.
Manchester City have been knocked out of the Women’s Champions League by Barcelona
Manchester City started on the front foot as Janine Beckie gave the hosts an early 1-0 lead
A potential comeback was on the cards when Ellen White was brought down in the Barca penalty box. Sam Mewis stepped up to coolly place the ball to the goal-keeper’s right.
But it ultimately was not enough to stop City’s Champions League dreams ending on the night.
Barcelona were a constant threat, as shown by Lucy Bronze (right) clearing off the goal line
Barcelona’s Asisat Oshoala (centre) scores an equaliser giving Man City a mountain to climb
Sam Mewis restored Man City’s lead from the penalty spot after Ellen White was brought down