Inter Milan’s Serie A clash with Sassuolo postponed after Antonio Conte’s squad were hit by Covid-19 outbreak as the club BAN their star players from travelling for international matches
- Inter Milan’s match with Sassuolo has been postponed due to Covid-19 cases
- Antonio Conte’s men have been rocked by several positive Covid tests this week
- Inter have also banned their players from travelling for international games
Inter Milan’s match against Sassuolo on Saturday has been postponed because of a rising number of coronavirus cases and the team’s players have been banned from travelling for international duty, the Italian club said Thursday.
Inter defender Stefan de Vrij and midfielder Matias Vecino were the latest players to test positive for COVID-19. Goalkeeper Samir Handanovic and defender Danilo D’Ambrosio tested positive earlier in the week.
Inter said the local health authority in Milan decided to suspend any team activities for four days, including postponing the match against Sassuolo. The club also said all players have been ‘prohibited from fulfilling any call-ups to their respective national teams.’
Inter Milan’s top players have been banned from travelling for international matches
Inter’s Serie A clash with Sassuolo has been called off due to Covid-19 outbreak in their squad
Stefan de Vrij was one of two players to have tested positive for Covid-19 from the latest tests
Inter said the entire team would be tested again on Monday.
The news will come as huge blow for many national teams with their World Cup qualifying campaigns starting after this weekend’s matches.
It means Belgium will have to face Wales, Czech Republic and Belarus without star striker Romelu Lukaku while Denmark will also have to cope without playmaker Christian Eriksen for their first three qualifiers.
Inter Milan is bidding for its first Serie A title in more than a decade. The team coached by Antonio Conte has a nine-point lead over second-place AC Milan.