Donny van de Beek’s miserable campaign continued as the Manchester United midfielder was an unused sub during Netherlands’ 4-2 defeat to Turkey in Istanbul.
Following his move from Ajax last summer, the 23-year-old has struggled for gametime amid a frustrating first season in English football.
In total, he has played just 311 minutes in the Premier League and has failed to start a league game since the turn of the year.
That has led to question marks over his involvement in this summer’s European Championship, with competition in Frank De Boer’s side intense.
Speaking earlier this year, De Boer hinted that Van de Beek would need to hold talks with the United hierarchy, else risk missing out on a place in the Oranje squad.
“Euro 2020 is coming, he will undoubtedly want to be there. Maybe it would be good for him to discuss with the club exactly what they want with him,” De Boer said, back in January.
“If the view on playing time does not improve, he may have to declare that he should be loaned or even sold.
“You have to be lucky every now and then. Of course it doesn’t look great now, but with a great performance it can suddenly change completely.
“We also don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes. Perhaps they have made certain agreements with his transfer, they will get him ready for next year this season. That always remains a bit of a guess.”
Things haven’t improved since then, with Van de Beek restricted to cameos in the two cup competitions.
And with Wednesday’s World Cup qualifier with Turkey one of three competitive matches before the tournament starts, De Boer kept him sitting on the sidelines.
It amplifies the frustrating situation he finds himself in, with time running out before the ex-Crystal Palace boss makes a final decision on his 23-man squad.
It will have been a bitter blow for the £35million man, coming hot on the heels of his international manager backing his decision to stay and fight for his place at Old Trafford.
“His situation is more difficult. He is in the early stages of his career. I wouldn’t immediately throw the towel in either,” De Boer said, as reports Voetbal International. “He still wants to show himself.
“I think it is a logical step that he wants to fight in the team. Let’s hope that will happen. I have not had any doubts yet.”
Van de Beek’s doubts may be continuing to grow.
* Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip