Rafa Marquez is closing in on a return to Barcelona in a coaching role.
The Mexican, who played between 2003 and 2010, has been linked with taking charge of one of the Blaugrana‘s youth teams.
According to La Sexta, talks between Barcelona president Joan Laporta and Marquez are underway, with the idea being for the 42-year-old to take charge of the Juvenil A (under-19s) side.
Marquez himself said last month that in July or August he could be back in a role at Barcelona.
The ex-defender has experience in coaching after taking charge of Real Alcala‘s Cadete A (under-16s) team.
“There is a good relationship with Joan Laporta. The reason why I supported him in his candidacy was because of that good friendship,” Marquez said.
“They believed in me, in Barcelona‘s resurgence, and there is a very good relationship. After he won Barcelona‘s elections, I was invited to return to the youth system.”
The meeting between Marquez and Barcelona took place this Tuesday, May 18.