Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Football Reporting
Football Reporting

Football News

Daniel Farke urges Norwich to stay focused after beating Forest | Championship

Norwich maintained their stranglehold at the top of the Championship with a comfortable 2-0 win at Nottingham Forest. Teemu Pukki scored his 22nd league goal of the season and Kieran Dowell added a second before half-time as the Canaries broke a club record with their ninth consecutive league win.

Daniel Farke’s side extended their lead over second-placed Watford to 10 points with 10 games remaining, but the manager has asked his players to remain focused.

“When the games come thick and fast, you can forget about what you are doing, but we need to also experience the joy because nine wins on the trot is outstanding,” Farke said.

“Maybe, in a few years’ time, we can sit back with a glass of wine and look back on how we have written some history and done something really amazing. But now is not the time to be too proud of ourselves because we need to stay focused.

“We still have some strong teams left to play and you never know what can happen with the coronavirus situation, but I thought we were fantastic in this game.”

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Barnsley maintained their play-off charge with a 3-1 win at Wycombe, despite the second-half dismissal of the captain, Alex Mowatt. The Reds striker Cauley Woodrow converted from the spot in time added on at the end of the first half following Ryan Tafazolli’s challenge on Michal Helik. Daryl Dike headed Barnsley 2-0 up and, after Mowatt had been shown a straight red card for his challenge on Scott Kashket, the on-loan American added his second. Uche Ikpeazu scored Wycombe’s late consolation.

Birmingham gave their survival hopes a boost as Harlee Dean’s header secured a 2-1 home win against play-off hopefuls Reading in Lee Bowyer’s first match as Blues manager. Lukas Jutkiewicz headed Birmingham into an early lead and, although Reading equalised through Yakou Meite, Dean’s second-half effort earned them a crucial three points.

The Fiver: sign up and get our daily football email.

Jordy De Wijs headed Queens Park Rangers’ late winner as they fought back from 2-0 down to beat Millwall 3-2 at Loftus Road. Millwall led 2-0 at half-time through Jed Wallace and Mason Bennett, but Charlie Austin headed QPR back into it and after Stefan Johansen had levelled, on-loan Hull defender De Wijs struck in the closing stages.

Blackburn and Bristol City drew 0-0 at Ewood Park, while Callum Paterson’s own goal denied Sheffield Wednesday victory in a 1-1 home draw against Huddersfield. Josh Windass’s effort gave Wednesday a half-time advantage, but Town hit back through Naby Sarr’s second-half shot, which was deflected in off Paterson. Wednesday, nine points adrift of safety, halted a seven-game losing run.

Source link

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like