MOHAMED SALAH could miss the start of next season for Liverpool with Egypt determined to have their star man at the Olympics.
The Summer Games will be staged in Tokyo from July 23 to August 8.
Each nation can name three over-23 players in their squad and the Pharaohs have reiterated their intent to take Salah.
The 28-year-old was included in Under-23 boss Shawky Gharib’s provisional team for the tournament – along with nine other over-age players.
And he has confirmed again his plans – with Salah seemingly open to the idea.
As reported by L’Equipe, Gharib said: “I have made it known publicly that I would like to have him with us during our Olympic campaign and he did not refuse, which means he also wants to play with us.
“Salah’s participation in the Olympics is supported by the state, represented by the Ministry of Sports and the Egyptian Football Federation, in our joint effort to bring home an Olympic football medal for the first time.”
However, Gharib has previously admitted an agreement will need to be in place between Egypt and Liverpool to take Salah to Japan.
Jurgen Klopp has already said he would want to examine Egypt’s full preparations before giving his verdict.
There will be a serious concern over burnout for one of his star men from a lack of rest as they look to reclaim the league title.
The Premier League confirmed this week the 2021-22 season will commence on the weekend of August 14.
And should Egypt go deep in the tournament, Salah would almost certainly be unavailable for the Reds’ first game of the campaign.
Salah is currently with the senior national team for the African Cup of Nations qualifiers.
That is expected to see him missing for the Anfield side next January during the continental tournament.
The ex-Roma forward has 43 goals in 69 international appearances and 119 in 192 for Liverpool, including 25 this season.