MATEO KOVACIC is tipped to join Manchester City next week after the Chelsea midfielder reportedly agreed terms.
Transfer guro Fabrizio Romano reckons a transfer fee will be decided after City’s Champions League final against Inter Milan on Saturday.
The Premier League champions are already said to have held advanced talks over signing the Croatia star.
And the 29-year-old admits he’s open to a move after Chelsea’s “very bad” season.
City have just sat out one major transfer battle as Real Madrid landed Jude Bellingham.
And so far the Treble seekers are not seen as in the running for West Ham skipper Declan Rice.
So recruiting a cheaper, more experienced player with Champions League-winning pedigree makes sense.
Kovacic, who is on international duty, stirred exit talk with frank comments over the past 24 hours.
He told Nacional, via the Evening Standard: “I have one more year with Chelsea, this season was very bad.
“Everything is going towards the fact that after five good years I will change, but in football anything can happen.”
The former Inter and Real ace even added: “Manchester City is a top team and deserves to be in the Champions League final.
“That’s what I have to say. The summer is long, we’ll see what happens.”
He softened those remarks only slightly by describing Chelsea as “phenomenal” and revealing he “loved” London as well as Blues’ fans.