Speculation over Erling Haaland’s future increased again following his angry and x-rated outburst at Borussia Dortmund during and after their 2-2 draw at Cologne.
Despite scoring twice for the visitors on Saturday, it wasn’t enough as Dortmund dropped more points in their quest for a top-four Bundesliga finish this season.
They currently sit fifth in the table on 47 points – four behind fourth-placed Eintracht Frankfurt with eight matches remaining.
Erling Haaland threw his shirt away and stormed down the tunnel after Borussia Dortmund dropped more points in the Bundesliga top-four race with a 2-2 draw at Cologne on Saturday
The Norwegian was frustrated at his team’s result despite the striker scoring twice in the game
According to BILD, Haaland was so incensed at his side’s display that he was overheard shouting ‘I f****** hate this. F****** bulls***’ at the half-time break, with his side drawing 1-1 at the interval. Then at full-time he angrily refused to shake anyone’s hand afterwards.
Sportsmail revealed earlier this month that Manchester City, Real Madrid and Chelsea are preparing moves to sign the 20-year-old via activating his £90million release clause.
Manchester United are also interested in signing Haaland but the Red Devils look set to be priced out of a move for the forward – plus there’s the sticky issue of dealing with his outspoken agent, Mino Raiola.
If Haaland were to depart then this public show of dissatisfaction wouldn’t be the first time a star threw their toys out of the pram as they look to leave a club. Sportsmail looks at some other high-profile attempts…
Haaland was reportedly heard saying ‘I f****** hate this. F****** bullshit’ at the half-time break
Lionel Messi (Barcelona, 2020)
Let’s start with the most recent and high-profile declaration to leave: Lionel Messi. The Barcelona superstar shocked the sporting world last summer when he publicly stated his desire to quit the Nou Camp.
Last August, Messi told Barcelona, via fax, of his desire to leave the club during that summer transfer window. He believed he was a free agent, while Barca maintained he was tied to the club for another year and with a £629m release clause.
The last contract that Messi signed in 2017 allowed him to leave on a free at the end of every season given he provided notice of his intention to do so in the first 10 days of June.
Lionel Messi’s plea to leave Barcelona was rejected last summer as their relationship soured
Messi made no secret of his desire to leave but Barcelona’s firm stance prevented his exit
His desire to avoid a courtroom battle with the club was the main reason he stayed this season
He told Goal.com in September that he wanted out after growing tired of Barca’s leadership
When there was no news from Messi during the first 10 days of June last year the club took that as the deadline had passed and he was now tied to another year at the club.
But Messi had a different interpretation. If his contract allowed him to leave on a free at the end of every season, and last season did not end until August, then he believed he could go for nothing, providing he informed the club – which he did do by sending the burofax that month.
However, Barca held firm on their stance and forced Messi to fulfil his final year at the Spanish giants. This wasn’t without a fight though as the Argentine forward deliberately missed the start of pre-season training and then told Goal.com in September that he only stayed to avoid a legal battle. In the interview too, he also took a big swipe at Barca’s hierarchy.
This season he has scored 29 goals in 37 games for Barca in all competitions but there is still great uncertainty over whether he will leave come the end of the campaign. Joan Laporta’s re-election to the club presidency in place of the much-loathed (by Messi and more) Josep Maria Bartomeu could swing it Barca’s way.
Messi has scored 29 goals in 37 games for Barca in all competitions as they chase LaLiga glory
Neymar (Barcelona, 2017)
Messi isn’t the first player in recent years to try and force a move out of Catalonia. Almost four years ago his then-team-mate Neymar tried and succeeded as he joined Paris Saint-Germain.
Neymar travelled with Barca to America during their pre-season tour in 2017 – with several team-mates trying to convince him to stay at the Nou Camp rather than seek pastures news. However, the club themselves became resigned to losing him after a series of negative meetings with the player and his father.
Neymar forced an exit out of Barcelona during pre-season of the 2017-18 campaign
During the trip across the Atlantic, Neymar stormed out of Barcelona training after a fight with new signing Nelson Semedo. The Brazilian was upset after the duo challenged for ball before being restrained and eventually leaving the training base in Miami.
Neymar didn’t travel back to Spain with his team-mates after the tour but instead headed to Asia for various commercial commitments.
He eventually returned but only for a brief 40-minute goodbye to his team-mates as his world-record £198m transfer to PSG became finalised in early August that year.
The Brazilian joined Paris Saint-Germain in a world-record £198m transfer in August 2017
Carlos Tevez (Manchester City, 2011)
It is isn’t just in LaLiga that there have been infamous stand-offs between a club and one of its players. In the Premier League this has happened on various occasions with Carlos Tevez’s situation at Manchester City a prime example.
Just days after captaining City to FA Cup glory in May 2011, their first major trophy in 35 years, Tevez told an Argentine chat show that he ‘would not even return to Eastlands on vacation’.
However, the unhappy Argentine did have to return to Eastlands (now called the Etihad Stadium) as the Italian interest in him never fully materialised. And just a month into the season Tevez was embroiled in an ugly incident with then-manager Roberto Mancini during a match.
Carlos Tevez (centre) refused to come on for Man City during their 2011 clash at Bayern Munich
Mancini wanted to bring on substitute Tevez with 35 minutes left in an attempt to claw back a 2-0 deficit in a Champions League group game at Bayern Munich on September 27.
Tevez, who had been left on the bench throughout their Premier League win over Everton on September 24, appeared unhappy that he was not earlier called on when fellow striker Edin Dzeko was replaced by defensive midfielder Nigel de Jong.
And minutes later, when Mancini indicated to the Argentine to warm up, Tevez refused, sparking heated discussions on the bench.
‘If I have my way he will be out. He’s finished with me,’ a furious Mancini said post-match.
Then-City manager Roberto Mancini (left) was incensed at Tevez’s stance to ignore his request
‘If we want to improve as a team Carlos can’t play with us. With me, he is finished.’
Tevez’s time at the Etihad did seem up as he went on strike, jetted off to Argentina and played golf. However, after failing to secure a transfer during the January 2012 transfer window the striker returned to the club in February. He lost £9.3m in wages, fines and lost bonuses for his actions but did end the season as a Premier League champion.
He stayed another season in Manchester before leaving for Juventus in a £12m deal in June 2013.
The pair were all smiles at the end of the 2011-12 season as City won the Premier League title
Dimitri Payet (West Ham, 2017)
Four years on and Dimitri Payet still polarises opinion among West Ham supporters.
The France playmaker captivated their minds and won their hearts with virtuoso displays during a debut campaign in 2015-16 but that love turned to hate come January 2017 as he forced a return to Marseille.
Off the back of a stunning 2015-16 campaign for West Ham, where he scored 12 goals, he played a key role in France reaching the final of Euro 2016. That summer interest in the midfielder grew but West Ham held firm, waving away interest.
Dimitri Payet forced his way out of West Ham after growing disillusioned at the club in 2017
However, by the 2016 New Year period Payet wanted out of east London and demanded a transfer back to Marseille.
According to club sources, Payet told West Ham on Tuesday that he would ‘never kick a ball again for West Ham’ if he did not get the move.
In January 2017, then-West Ham manager Slaven Bilic revealed that his talisman had effectively gone on strike as he refused to train or play.
‘We have said we don’t want to sell our best players but Payet does not want to play for us,’ Bilic said. ‘We are not going to sell him.’
However, he was later made to do a U-turn as West Ham sold Payet back to Marseille on January 30, 2017 in a £25m deal.
The playmaker was all smiles as his ploy saw him return to Marseille in January 2017 for £25m
Diego Costa (Chelsea, 2017)
What a difference an off-season makes. Off the back of a fine 2016-17 season, Diego Costa should have returned to Chelsea to spearhead their Premier League title defence. He had just scored in the top-flight as Antonio Conte’s first season in charge ended in silverware.
The pair should have continued to work in tandem but instead Costa was 5,000 miles away in his native Lagarto, Brazil after a spectacular fallout with Conte.
Problems between Costa and Conte surfaced earlier in the year when he was left out of the Chelsea side for an away match at Leicester in January 2017, having been involved in a dispute with a fitness coach.
Diego Costa invited Sportsmail into his family home for an exclusive interview in August 2017
Costa watched his Chelsea team being beaten at home in the Premier League by Burnley
Costa’s summer began with a text from Antonio Conte, telling him his Chelsea career was over
Then in June 2017, Conte sent a text to his players wishing them a good holiday and telling them to stay fit, and after Costa replied in a jokey way he was told he was no longer in the manager’s plans.
In an exclusive interview with Sportsmail in August 2017, Costa accused Chelsea of treating him ‘like a criminal’, said he had been fined several weeks wages and defied demands to return to train with the reserves.
The Brazilian-born Spain international demanded a return to Atletico Madrid, who he left Chelsea for in 2014, as he was ready to see out his Chelsea contract unpaid and train alone near his home in Brazil.
On September 26, 2017, the striker was granted his wish as Atletico completed the transfer for the striker. However, he could not be registered to play for the LaLiga side until January 1, 2018, when the club’s transfer window ban came to an end.
Costa got his wish to leave Chelsea and re-joined Atletico Madrid officially on January 1, 2018