BARCELONA president Joan Laporta says Lionel Messi was allowed to leave to save the club.
And the Spaniard slammed the previous administration at the Nou Camp for leaving a ‘salary mess’ that resulted in their best player exiting.
This is despite Messi wanting to STAY with the Spanish giants.
Laporta gave an honest and open interview to reporters this morning just hours after six-time Ballon d’Or winner Messi left.
And he confirmed that the Catalans simply could not afford to keep Messi on the books.
More to follow…
⚽ Read our Transfer news live blog for the very latest rumours, gossip and done deals
DREAM TEAM 2021/22
PLAY DREAM TEAM FOR THE 2021/22 SEASON
- £100,000 prize pot up for grabs
- £50million budget to build your best XI
- Play in Mini Leagues against your mates, colleagues, etc
- Click here to play for FREE
- Dream Team app available through Apple Store and Google Play Store