Cash-strapped Barcelona are on the lookout for a new striker after Manchester City icon and summer signing Sergio Aguero announced his retirement due to a heart problem
Barcelona president Joan Laporta has promised to sign two new players in January, according to reports.
The pledge comes after recent signing Sergio Aguero confirmed his retirement due to a heart problem.
Barcelona, who are reportedly more than £1billion in debt, are desperate for more talent after a shocking start to the season.
The Catalan giants are currently eighth in La Liga, 18 points behind leaders and bitter rivals Real Madrid.
They’ve also been dumped out of the Champions League and appointed a new manager, bringing in Xavi to replace Ronald Koeman.
Who should Barcelona sign in January? Let us know in the comments below!
And Laporta, who was re-elected president at the beginning of the year, has reportedly promised to bring in reinforcements.
According to Spanish outlet Cadena Ser via Barca Universal, one of those players could be Manchester City ace Ferran Torres.
The Spain international hasn’t played for his club since October due to a fractured foot and is yet to show his best in England.
Since joining Man City in August 2020, Torres has made just 19 Premier League starts.
Xavi is believed to be a fan of the player’s versatility and could use his relationship with Pep Guardiola to secure a deal.
Barcelona are also thought to be interested in Manchester United pair Edinson Cavani and Anthony Martial, as well as Basel striker Arthur Cabral.
Martial may be Laporta’s best option after the Frenchman’s agent Philippe Lamboley recently expressed his desire to leave Old Trafford in January.
“He just needs to play,” said Lamboley last week. “He doesn’t want to stay in January and I will speak to the club soon.”
A striker is Barcelona’s priority after losing Lionel Messi to Paris Saint-Germain in the summer and Aguero’s retirement.
The Manchester City legend, 33, confirmed he was hanging up his boots in an emotional press conference on Wednesday.
“When they did the first physical test on me in the clinic, the medical staff called me to tell me there was a very big possibility that I wouldn’t be able to keep playing,” revealed Aguero.
“From that point I was processing it all but it wasn’t easy. One of the doctors told me straight up, ‘That’s enough.’
“I want to tell everyone that I did everything possible. I dreamt about playing football since I was five years old and I first touched a ball.
“I never thought I would get to Europe, so I want to show my gratitude to everyone regardless of where I trained.
“I’m proud of the career I’ve had and am fortunate it is happening to me now rather than before. I don’t know what awaits me in the next life but I know there are a lot of people who love me and want the best for me.”
Many have paid tribute to Aguero, including close friend Messi.
“With the great joy of lifting the Copa America so little ago, with all the achievements you achieved in England,” said Messi.
“The truth is that now it hurts a lot to see how you have to stop doing what you like the most… all the best in this new stage!”