Manchester City have already broken their club transfer record to land playmaker Jack Grealish but their summer window is far from over as they aim to strengthen their squad
Manchester City suffered a disappointing curtain-raiser to their new campaign on Saturday as Leicester City edged them out in the Community Shield clash at Wembley.
The result will be swiftly forgotten for a match that saw the club’s £100million record signing Jack Grealish make his debut for Pep Guardiola’s side.
Saturday’s performance did highlight City’s lack of options in the final third with the club still having only one recognised senior striker at the club – Gabriel Jesus.
There is likely to be at least one striker brought into the club this month while more player exits are also anticipated at City.
We take a look at the biggest transfer stories emanating from the blue side of Manchester.
‘Agreed personal terms’ for Kane
Manchester City are ramping up their pursuit for Tottenham captain Harry Kane with journalist Ian McGarry claiming of ‘agreed personal terms’ between the parties.
The England captain has returned to training at Spurs – but must self-isolate for five days due to quarantine rules – after not reporting to the club earlier this week.
The 28-year-old is said to be keen on an exit from the North London club this summer with City favourites to land the striker but may struggle to agree terms with Spurs.
McGarry claimed on Transfer Window podcast : “Harry Kane obviously remains an ongoing project.
“But it is our information at the Transfer Window podcast that Kane has effectively agreed personal terms with City and his representatives, and that they are simply waiting on Daniel Levy to agree the fee.
“And of course Spurs themselves are investing quite aggressively in new players as well, which kind of suggests that they know already that Kane will be leaving and they’re effectively strengthening their squad on the basis of the money coming in.”
Will Man City sign Harry Kane this summer? Comment below
Bernardo to Arsenal?
Bernardo Silva looks increasingly likely to exit Man City this summer with Pep Guardiola confirming that the player is keen on a transfer.
It has been suggested that La Liga is the most likely destination for the Portugal international, with Atletico Madrid said to be among the clubs interested in his signature.
However, Silva may yet stay in the Premier League with Arsenal said to be keen on the player as an alternative to signing either James Maddison or Martin Odegaard.
The club’s pursuit of Maddison has been frustrated due to the player’s valuation while Real Madrid are unlikely to allow Odegaard to exit this summer.
Silva – who Gunners boss Mikel Arteta worked with at City – is now on Arsenal’s radar as he could provide that creative spark in the final third.
City will be keen to find a destination for the former Monaco star – who arrived at the Etihad four years ago – to clear up their wage bill to reinvest in the squad.
Read Tom Hopkinson’s report here
Madrid encouraged by City
Manchester City’s apparent withdrawal of their pursuit of Erling Haaland has boosted Real Madrid’s hopes of signing the player, according to the Spanish press.
Sport Witness cite Madrid-based media outlet Diario AS reporting Los Blancos have been given encouragement by City and Chelsea turning their attentions away from the Borussia Dortmund striker – which appears to boost their future hopes of a deal.
It is claimed that agent Mino Raiola wanted to create an auction for his prized asset, who is wanted by multiple top clubs across European football.
City prefer a move for Harry Kane while Chelsea are set to re-sign Inter striker Romelu Lukaku, leaving the path for Haaland – who is tipped to move next summer – to move elsewhere.
Do you want an exclusive pre-season preview of YOUR club – both in your inbox and through your letterbox? Head over here to find out more and secure your copy .