Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Football Reporting
Football Reporting

Barcelona

Barcelona to appeal Robert Lewandowski’s ban to highest sporting court in Spain



Barcelona will appeal Robert Lewandowski’s three-game ban to the highest sporting court in Spain after the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) upheld the suspension on Monday, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Lewandowski, 34, was handed a one-game ban last month for his red card in Barcelona’s 2-1 win over Osasuna plus an additional two games for his reaction to the dismissal.

– Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, more (U.S.)

The Poland international responded to being expelled by making a gesture — touching his nose and pointing towards the referee, Jesus Gil Manzano — which was deemed disrespectful and arrogant by the RFEF.

Lewandowski denied the gesture was meant for the official, saying it was intended for his coach Xavi Hernandez following a conversation they had earlier the previous week.

On those grounds, Barca appealed the ban, but the RFEF rejected their arguments, forcing the Catalan club to take the issue to the Spanish Administrative Sports Court (TAD) on Monday.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

If upheld, the striker will miss the local derby against Espanyol on Dec. 31 and the league games against Atletico Madrid and Getafe at the start of 2023.

He will be available for the Spanish Supercopa, which takes place in Saudi Arabia after Barca’s game at Atletico in January, as the suspension only covers LaLiga fixtures.

Lewandowski, who has scored 18 goals for the club this season, is due back in training with Barca next week after Poland were eliminated from the World Cup on Saturday, losing 3-1 to France in the last 16.

Barca, meanwhile, returned to work on Monday after over two weeks off following the win over Osasuna at the start of November, although the majority of their squad remain involved in Qatar.

Hector Bellerin, Marcos Alonso, Sergi Roberto and Inaki Pena trained, while Ronald Araujo and Franck Kessie did recovery work.

Lewandowski, Marc-Andre ter Stegen and Andreas Christensen are due back in the coming days after their respective nations were knocked out of the World Cup.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.



Source link

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Barcelona

LaLiga said they will launch an investigation into racist fan abuse suffered by Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior during the club’s shock 1-0 defeat...

Barcelona

Paris Saint-Germain sporting director Luis Campos has confirmed the club is in talks to renew Lionel Messi’s contract. The 35-year-old’s contract with the French...

Arsenal

Erling Haaland was signed by Manchester City as the final piece of the jigsaw to win the Champions League. If that reality makes Pep...

Bayern Munich

The Bayern Munich and Manuel Neuer drama is “nothing new” says Eurosport Germany’s Florian Bogner, adding that there is no-one who is in the...